IMG_5376

 

Just over 2 years ago, I made no-sew roman shades for my kitchen, in a fun, yellow, chevron print.  The fabric I used was the same as the no-sew curtains I made for the kitchen, that now live in the playroom.

Recently, I had purchased new curtains for the kitchen because I think chevron is a bit overused (and better suited for a cute playroom).  I had not been able to find a fabric to replace the old, no-sew roman shades.

41

I was searching online and in stores, but nothing that struck my fancy.  Until now.  WOOHOO.

Here is another how-to, with a bit more detail…

The first thing I did was grab my items.  Fabric, heat-bond (because I am not sewing), a tension rod, an iron and scissors.  And a cute, pajama wearing assistant (pajama assistant is optional…and actually makes it take a bit longer).

IMG_5358

Lay the fabric out, with the side you want to show facing down.  Measure the fabric out to cover the window (length and width), and then add an extra inch on the 2 sides that go along the width.  For the length, I did an extra inch on the bottom and an extra 3 inches on the top (this leaves room to slide in the tension rod).

Cut a strip of the heat bond and place along the edge of the fabric, iron it on.

PicMonkey Collage

When the strip is attached, peel off the paper and fold over.  This creates the “hem”.  Do this to all sides.  For the top, be sure to leave a small gap to slide the tension rod in.  I do this by folding the fabric over a bit more and leaving a space.

The curtain part is done.

Now I make two strips of fabric to help hold the curtain up.  To do this, I cut two pieces, two feet long and 4 inches across.  On the long sides, I do a strip of heat bond along each side.  Then, I fold both over and finish the hem.  On the ends, I put pieces of Velcro (just a cheap stick-on), and the strips are done!

PicMonkey Collage2

Now it’s time to put it on the window.  Here is what it looks like with out the strips holding it up…

IMG_5369

Then, climb gracefully into the sink to add the strips.

PicMonkey Collage3

 

Here is a little before and after of the kitchen…

beforeafter

I love the new look, and think it looks a bit more classic then the chevron did.

The total cost was under $20.  $15 for fabric, $3 for the heat bond.  I already had a tension rod (which is just a few dollars) and the Velcro stick-ons (also not more then a few dollars).  I love that this only takes about a half hour, so if I do get sick of this one as well, it is an easy switch!

 

 

8 Thoughts on “No-Sew Roman Shades

  1. The photo with your assistant is adorable. I like the fabric that you chose. Great tutorial.

  2. Pingback: The Best of… | A Slice of Mudpie

  3. lourdes on February 9, 2015 at 12:14 pm said:

    I did it and it came out great. Thank you

  4. Rae Koch on September 11, 2015 at 11:04 pm said:

    I love this. I am making this for my kitchen. Thank you for posting directions.

  5. Pingback: No Sew Roman Shades 1348 - Home Inspiration Ideas

  6. I love the idea of using Velcro for the ties. I made one for my laundry room and used rope and skirt clips for a plastic coat hanger to hold my curtain up. The Velcro is a great idea. I will use it for my kitchen windows. Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Post Navigation