I love being able to come home from work and have a home cooked meal ready to go. That is why when my local grocery store started offering a program where you could come in and make meals to freeze, I jumped on it.
My local Hy-Vee’s program is called DISH. Basically, I organized a group of 10 people. Each person picked out a meal they were to prepare from a menu the chef sent us (there were literally over a hundred choices). We turned in our complete menu of 10 items a week in advance. The day of our event, the chef had everything in the room ready for us. All the food was lined up, freezer bags and markers ready to go.
Each person prepared 10 of their meals, that way e all got one. Each of us went home with 10 meals to freeze and recipes in hand. The best part? No clean up, Hy-Vee did that. Plus, they did the shopping for us. All we had to do was pay for the cost of the food (not even a upcharge). If you live somewhere with a Hy-Vee, you should check and see if they offer it!
Anyway…like I said, my lovely group of friends picked 10 meal items that were ready for the freezer. Here is one of the meals, and my favorite I have had so far, Buffalo Chicken Pasta!
1 Package Penne Pasta
1 T. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 lb. Chicken Breast, cut into strips
1/4 c. Olive Oil
1/2 Frank’s Hot Sauce
1 c. Celery (diced)
1/2 Large Red Onion (sliced into quarter rings)
1 c. Mayonnaise
1/2 c. Ranch Dressing
3/4 c. Milk
To prepare for the freezer:
1. Place chicken and spices in gallon bag
2. Bag celery and onions in a smaller bag
3. Bag mayonnaise and ranch dressing in a separate smaller bag
4. Bag Frank’s hot sauce in a separate smaller bag
5. Label box of pasta
Remove items from the freezer and put in the fridge a night in advance!
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, prepare chicken with spices and cook in olive oil.
3. When chicken is about half-cooked through, add onion and celery and sauté until chicken is done.
4. Add hot sauce and sauté with chicken for about 2 minutes.
5. Combine mayonnaise, ranch dressing and milk in a bowl. Add to skillet and heat through.
6. Toss with pasta.
Still time to sign up for the Ornament Exchange! Email me at email@example.com if you want to join in!