I apologize for the lack of posting lately.  About a month ago, I woke up to what I thought was a pulled muscle in my chest.  After a week, I went to the doctor who affirmed it was just a pulled muscle and to not worry.  She also said if it got worse to come back in a month.  The next day I was in so much pain, I had a fever, everything hurt.  I went in to urgent Care where they gave me a prescription.  I felt a bit better, but not back to normal.  Once the meds ran out, my right breast started hurting again.  I went back to the doctor, had an ultrasound, and was put on a stronger antibiotic for mastitis.  Yes, apparently you can get that when you aren’t nursing.

The next day was worse.  I called the doctor in tears.  They said it would take another 24 hours for the drugs to take hold, she scheudled an appointment for 2 days, but she knew by then I would be better.  Well, the next day was worse.  I went in to another doctor for a second opinion.  With in minutes he confirmed that I had a lump in my breast.

I was sent up to a breast specialist who requested another ultrasound.  While waiting for the ultrasound, I texted my sister to come and be with me.  I was lucky that she dropped everything and drove the 2 hours to help me (my parents happened to be out-of-town last week).  While she driving, I had another ultrasound.  I could tell the ultrasound technician saw “something”.  She kept focusing on one area of my breast, typing and clicking buttons.  Of course, she wouldn’t tell me what was going on. 

My sister arrived while I was waiting for the results.  They did see a lump in the ultrasound and wanted to complete a biopsy. 

The next morning I had another appointment.  The doctor scheduled me for surgery for the coming week and said to wait it out.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I can not wait.  I have anxiety that goes through the roof.  After some discussion, it was decided that the biopsy would be done right then.  He did mention that with my infection it would hurt more than normal, but at least it would be done.

The next 24 hours were excruciating.  I was a mess.  The doctor assured me that 80% of the time, it is not cancer.  To me, 20% was still way to high.  Finally the call came in.  The biopsy came back benign.  Hopefully the infection is healing.  I go back in Wednesday.  They are hoping by then that I feel back to normal.  No soreness, no infection and best of all no cancer.

Like I said, it has been just over a month.  I fell like I haven’t been myself in a month.  It has been a month since I have been able to carry HJ on my right side.  A month of telling him to be careful because mommy has a “owie”.  Hopefully, life will soon be back to normal.

I hope to never have to deal with a scare like this again, and I hope none of you do either.  Remember, get yourself checked!!

4 Thoughts on “Breast Biopsy

  1. Dang girl!!! I didn’t know you were going through all this. I’m so sorry! I hope you’re back to feeling better (and normal!) soon!! Hang in there, Mama!

  2. Oh my gosh. Well I’m glad everything checked out okay. But as a woman, a mother, a single mother, that’s terrifying. I had a scare last year, but everything was fine. It does put so much in perspective. Exhale.

  3. Oh no! I’m glad to hear everything went well and hope you are doing better. I had something similar done, although yours sounds a little more painful! It is very scary but like Cari said, puts so much into perspective.

  4. Omg how scary I’m so glad you’re okay and feeling better. I’ve been so busy lately and am only catching up on blogging now after a couple weeks. Take care xx

Post Navigation