*Click here to see an update with more instructions*
In my kitchen, there is a cute little window above the sink.
The only problem?
While I would be getting ready in the morning, HJ would suddenly shout “MAMA!!!!” from the living room. This would cause me to run from the bathroom to the living room, usually in my bra and underwear.
There is one house behind mine where they could potentially see me prancing around through the window. Luckily, it is lived in by college students so they are rarely up before 8am. Except that one morning after Halloween when neighbor boy wondered thru our backyard in a pair of boxers and a sombrero…and Ty started barking and HJ started pounding on the window at him (we are very subtle)…
Anywho…I wanted a window covering. That way, I could run from my room to the living room, in my underwear, if I so pleased and not be freaked out that sombrero wearing college kids would start pounding on my window. And I had LOTS of extra fabric from my happy-go-lucky curtains I made for the patio door.
Naturally, I started scouring pinterest for no-sew roman shades. And right away popped up this cute little thing. I started reading the directions thinking uh-huh, yup, piece of cake. And then out of no where, in a description labeled no-sew, it says “now you need to sew a button”. I need to sew a frikken what? I don’t know how to sew a button. I don’t even own a needle or string..or thread…or whatever the heck it is called. I will be sewing no flippin’ buttons.
So I went to the next one…
Pretty, yes? I even super-love the fabric. But I was worried how it would look from the outside. You know, to my sombrero-boxer-wearing neighbor. He doesn’t need to see ugliness when looking at my window (that was the point of a window covering in the first place!).
So I looked at this one on pinterest…which was not about making a shade at all, but rather selling your first-born so you could afford to buy them. And I don’t want to sell HJ.
I gave up and made up my own. I figured I had enough fabric that if I goofed it up, I could try again. I picked up a $2 tension rod and some more heat-bond no-sew hem stuff and set to work.
I measured the window’s width and height. I cut the fabric to match that, plus an inch on each side for the heat bond (and an extra 2 inches for the top). I ironed the heat bond on the top leaving a little “gap” to slide the tension rod in.
And iron-hemed the rest of the sides…
Then I cut 2 long strips and “hemmed” the edges to act as the ties. I thought I could make a cute little bow.
I really liked how it was starting to look, but the cute little bows looked dumb, not cute at all. The heat-bond hemming had left the strip a little too stiff and they just awkwardly stuck out. So I went to bed.
During the night I woke up and thought velcro! Velcro on the strips so there is no stupid bow. And went back to sleep.
The next day I called my mom because I knew she had self adhesive velcro. She was nice enough to bring it over (knowing I wouldn’t let it go until I had it in my hands). I am not sure where she got the velcro, but it is sticky like glue on one side and then the velcro strip on the other. So I took my silly little strips that were supposed to be cute little bows and put velcro on each end and…
TA-DA! My “For Real No-Sew Roman-ish Shades”. They cover the window perfectly if I un-velcro the strips, or if I want to peer out the window, I can leave them velcro-ed. Except for the giving up and going to bed portion, the whole thing took around 15 minutes. It was extremely simple and very inexpensive! My kind of project.